FAQ Print
  • Visas
    • Do I have to present any other document at the Schengen external borders apart from my travel document with the Schengen visa?
    • The short-stay visa does not automatically entitle you to enter the Schengen area. At the border (or during other controls) you may have to show the visa but also provide additional documentation, for example information to show that you have sufficient means to cover the stay and the return trip. It is therefore recommended that you carry with you copies of the documents which you presented when applying for the visa (e.g. letters of invitation, travel confirmations, other documents stating the purpose of your stay).

      Updated: 2015.09.09
    • I have a valid long stay visa/residence permit for a country that is part of the Schengen area. Do I need another visa to travel to other Schengen states?
    • No. A long stay visa or a residence permit issued by a Schengen State allows you to travel or stay in other Schengen States for the maximum duration of a “short stay” (a stay of "90 days in any 180 days period").

      Updated: 2015.09.09
    • Can I leave the Schengen area and return again with my Schengen visa?
    • Schengen visas may allow for a single-entry, two or multiple entries. With a single-entry visa you can enter the Schengen area only once. This is indicated on the visa sticker by "1"

      With a visa allowing for two or multiple entries visa you may enter twice or several times during the validity of the visa.

      Updated: 2015.09.09
    • My visa has been issued by, for example, the German Consulate. Could I use this visa to make a trip to other Schengen States?
    • Yes. According to the Schengen rules, the Schengen visa is generally valid for all the Schengen States. Please note, however, that, in principle, you have to apply at the consulate of the Schengen State which is your primary or first destination. The territorial validity of you visa is indicated on the visa sticker under the heading "Valid For". You will find information on how to read your visa sticker on this page of our website: How to read/understand the visa sticker.

      Updated: 2015.09.09
    • Which documents do I need to provide when submitting my visa application?
    • Information on the documents to be submitted when applying for a visa can be found on the following page of our website.

      Updated: 2015.09.09
    • My passport expires in two months’ time. Can I apply for a visa?
    • In principle you cannot. It is a requirement that the expiration date of your passport is 3 months AFTER your return from the Schengen area. However, in justified cases of emergency, the Consulate may deviate from this rule.

      Updated: 2015.09.09
    • How long before the start of the intended visit should I apply for a visa?
    • Applications can be lodged no more than three months before the start of the intended trip.

      It is advisable to lodge an application at least 15 calendar days before the intended visit, taking into account also the national holidays of the Schengen State of destination and in the country where you apply for the visa.

      Updated: 2015.09.09
    • How long can I stay in the Schengen area on the basis of my visa?
    • The Schengen visa is a short stay visa and takes the form of a sticker affixed to the travel document. The definition of “short stay” is a stay of "90 days in any 180 days period". This means that the total duration of stays is maximum 90 days in any period of 180 days.

      The precise length of validity your visa is indicated on the visa sticker under the heading “Duration of visit”.

      With a single-entry visa you can enter the Schengen area only once. This is indicated on the visa sticker under the heading "Number of entries" by "01". A two-entry or a multiple-entry visa allows for two or several entries during the validity of the visa. This is indicated on the visa sticker by "02" or "MULT" under the heading "Number of entries".

      Updated: 2015.09.09
    • Can I cross the Schengen border in country X, while the visa was issued by Schengen country Y?
    • As a general rule you may cross any Schengen border with visa issued by any Schengen country. However, the short-stay visa does not automatically entitle you to enter the Schengen area.

      Updated: 2015.09.09
    • Do I need a visa to enter a Schengen State?
    • To find out if you need a visa to enter a Schengen State, you can consult the overview on our website, click here.

      1. Select your nationality and it will be indicated if you need a visa or not.
      2. If you need a visa, you should select your country of residence and Schengen State of destination.
      3. The consulate where you should apply will then be indicated and there will be a link to the website providing detailed information.

      Please note, this information is not exhaustive and is intended as guidance only.

      Updated: 2015.09.09
    • What is a Schengen visa?
    • A Schengen visa is an authorisation issued by a Schengen State for:

      • A transit through or an intended stay in the territory of the Schengen States of a duration of no more than 90 days in any 180 days period ("short stay visa"),
      • A transit through the international transit areas of airports of the Schengen States ("airport transit visa").

      Generally the visa issued allows you to visit any of the Schengen States during the same trip, within the validity of the visa.

      A Schengen visa is not appropriate, if you wish to remain in the Schengen area for longer than 90 days, take up employment or establish a business, trade or profession.

      Updated: 2015.09.09
    • Which countries are part of the Schengen Area?
    • The Schengen area covers 26 countries (Schengen States) without border controls between them. These countries are:

      1. Austria,
      2. Belgium,
      3. the Czech Republic,
      4. Denmark,
      5. Estonia,
      6. Finland,
      7. France,
      8. Germany,
      9. Greece,
      10. Hungary,
      11. Iceland,
      12. Italy,
      13. Latvia,
      14. Liechtenstein,
      15. Lithuania,
      16. Luxembourg,
      17. Malta,
      18. the Netherlands,
      19. Norway,
      20. Poland,
      21. Portugal,
      22. Slovakia,
      23. Slovenia,
      24. Spain,
      25. Sweden,
      26. Switzerland.

      These countries apply a common visa policy for short stay visas.

      Updated: 2015.09.09
  • Brexit (for British citizens)
    • If I am already resident of the Republic of Lithuania, do I need to change my documents and to apply for my new residence permit?
    • Yes, you do. The application for the new residence permit should be submitted during the transition period starting directly after Brexit on 30 March 2019 and lasting until 31 December 2019.

      Updated: 2019.03.07
    • Will I have to comply with Lithuanian integration requirements when Britain leaves the EU?
    • No, British citizens who were legally resident in Lithuania before the UK’s withdrawal will retain their right to live, study and work here until 31 of December 2019. This will also apply to family members of British citizens who are not EU citizens themselves.

      From 30 of March 2019 British citizens will need to apply for residence permits according to favourable requirements. You or your employer will therefore have no need to apply for a work permit on your behalf.

      Updated: 2019.03.07
    • How much time does it take to issue or renew temporary residence permit?
    • The application should be examined no later than within 3 months as from the date of submission to the Migration Department.

      Updated: 2019.03.07
    • Will I be able to bring family members to Lithuania after Brexit?
    • You can bring your family members to Lithuania. It does not matter how long you have lived in Lithuania.

      Updated: 2019.03.07
    • As a British citizen, can I apply for Lithuanian citizenship?
    • Yes, you can become a citizen of the Republic of Lithuanian by naturalisation.

      Updated: 2019.03.07
    • Can I acquire Lithuanian citizenship and keep my British citizenship?
    • No, but several exceptions apply.

      Updated: 2019.03.07
    • Which Lithuanian authority is responsible for British citizens residing in Lithuania?
    • The Ministry of the Interior of the Republic of Lithuania (MoI) and the Migration Department under the MoI are in charge of all related issues concerning the British citizens and their family members who wish to reside in Lithuania.

      Updated: 2019.03.07


* marked fields are required