IMPORTANT! As of 16 March 2020, admission of applicants for legalisation of documents is suspended due to COVID-19 Pandemics.
During this period, documents for legalisation will be accepted and handed over only by courier services to/from Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania, temporary address: J. Lelevelio str. 6, Vilnius.
When submitting documents for legalisation, please include the following:
- A copy of a valid passport or other identity document of the person submitting the document (s) for legalisation notarized by a Notary Public of Lithuania
- A free-form request (an application with the following information: the country in which you plan to submit the legalised document (s) and your contact details (e-mail address and telephone No)
- A copy of a bank transfer or a payment receipt for legalisation of a document (consular fee for legalisation of one document - 20 EUR).
The consular fee for legalisation of documents shall be paid into the Budget Revenue Collection account of the State Tax Inspectorate, the payment code - 5320, and may also be paid at the following points:
- AB “Lietuvos Paštas” post offices
- Via the internet portal of UAB "Paysera"
- At the cash desks of SOLLO, UAB intermediary MAXIMA LT, UAB
- UAB Elotus
- UAB Foxpay payment self-service terminals FOXBOX
- UAB "Perlas Finance" terminals
- Via the website of UAB “Viena sąskaita”
- UAB "Mokėjimo paslaugos" press kiosks.
Please indicate the following when paying for document legalisation:
- Payment code: 5320
- Payment name: Consular Tax
- Recipient: State Tax Inspectorate Under the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Lithuania
- Recipient code: 188659752
- Recipient accounts: http://www.vmi.lt/cms/biudzeto-pajamu-surenkamoji-saskaita
- To create payment document with barcode follow link: http://www.vmi.lt/cms/en/mokejimo-vykdymo-dokumento-formavimas1.
IMPORTANT! If the payment is made by bank transfer online, please approve the payment in the bank and provide bank receipt.
The legalised documents will be sent to the recipient via courier (pickup services only), upon your order with your respective carrier.
Legalisation of documents or approval certificate (Apostille) allows official documents issued in one country to be used as valid in another.
- Legalisation of document - is a verification of signature, signed person’s held position and stamp in the document. Legalisation of document is carried out by Lithuanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and diplomatic embassies or consular posts.
- Document approval certificate (Apostille) - is a verification of signature, signed person’s held position and stamp in the document provided by The Hague Convention regarding documents issued in foreign countries abolishment of legalisation in 5th of October, 1961 (Žin., 1997, No. 68-1699). Document’s approval certificate (Apostille) is undertaken by notaries of the Republic of Lithuania.
Note. Applicants being in foreign countries can submit application for approval certificate (Apostille) of documents, issued by the institutions of the Republic of Lithuania in the embassies or consular posts of the Republic of Lithuania.
The following official (public) documents can be legalised or approved by certificate (Apostille):
- Issued by government or municipal institutions or officials, also by prosecutor, court official or person performing court decisions
- Administrative documents
- Notarial acts
- Official confirmations of documents signed by natural person
- Notarial transcripts of official documents.
Documents have to be orderly and readable. If document consists of few pages, they have to be affixed or sewn together.
Every document is approved separately (for example: diploma and its appendix are two separate documents).
IMPORTANT! Documents issued before 11 of March of 1990 with symbols of Lithuanian Soviet Socialist Republic are neither legalised nor approved by certificate (Apostille). These documents must be renewed.
Legalisation of documents is not required when the documents are drawn up and / or issued by diplomatic missions or consular posts of foreign states resident in the Republic of Lithuania.
Please note: The Legalisation Office has moved to the premises of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Lithuania, temporary address: J. Lelevelio str. 6, Vilnius.
Courier admission time:
- Monday to Thursday 9am-12pm and 2pm-4pm
- Friday 9am-12pm and 2pm-3pm
Note. Documents cannot be submitted by post.
For more information call: +370 5 250 7706.