The legalization office has temporally moved to the premises of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Lithuania, J.Lelevelio str. 6, Vilnius.
Legalization of document or approval certificate (Apostille) is needed for official documents issued in one country to be valid in another country.
Legalization of document - is a verification of signature, signed person’s held position and stamp in the document.
- Legalization of document is done by Lithuanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and diplomatic embassies or consular posts.
Document approval certificate (Apostille) - is a verification of signature, signed person’s held position and stamp in the document provided by The Hague Convention regarding documents issued in foreign countries abolishment of legalization in 5th of October, 1961 (Žin., 1997, No. 68-1699).
- Document’s approval certificate (Apostille) is done by Republic of Lithuania notaries.
Note. Persons who are in foreign countries can submit application for document’s approval certificate (Apostille) in the Republic of Lithuania diplomatic embassies or consular posts. It applies for documents issued by institutions of Republic of Lithuania.
These official documents can be legalized or approved by certificate (Apostille):
- Issued by government or municipal institutions or officials, also by a prosecutor, court official or person performing court decisions;
- Administrative documents;
- Notarial acts;
- Official confirmations of documents signed by a natural person;
- Notarial transcripts of official documents.
Documents have to be orderly and readable. If document consists of few pages, they have to be sewn.
Every document is approved separately (for example: diploma and its appendix are two separate documents).
IMPORTANT! Documents issued before 11th of March of 1990 with symbols of Lithuanian Soviet Socialist Republic are neither legalized nor approved by certificate (Apostille). These documents must be renewed.
To legalize documents in Lithuania you have to address Lithuanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, location: J.Tumo-Vaižganto g. 2, Vilnius (entrance on the left side of the Ministry).
Please note: the legalization office has temporally moved to the premises of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Lithuania, J. Lelevelio str. 6, Vilnius.
Visitors admission time:
- Mondays - Thursdays 9am-12pm and 2pm-4pm.
- Fridays 9am-12pm and 2pm-3pm
Note. Documents cannot be submitted by post.
Together with documents for legalization you have to provide a passport or other valid personal identity document. If document is submitted by other person, he has to provide authorization document.
Consular tax for legalization of 1 document is 10 Euros.
In Ministry of Foreign Affairs for legalization you can pay by credit/debit cards VISA, VISA ELECTRON, MAESTRO, MASTERCARD and V PAY.
Persons who want to pay by cash or a bank transfer in places that accept payments for State Tax Inspectorate should use these consular tax payment details:
- Payment code: 5320
- Payment name: Consular Tax
- Recipient: State Tax Inspectorate near Lithuanian Ministry of Finance
- Recipient code: 188659752
- Recipient accounts: http://www.vmi.lt/cms/biudzeto-pajamu-surenkamoji-saskaita
- To create payment document with barcode follow link: http://www.vmi.lt/cms/en/mokejimo-vykdymo-dokumento-formavimas1
IMPORTANT! If consular tax is paid by bank transfer using online banking, please approve payment in the bank and provide bank’s receipt.
For more information call: +370 706 52613 or +370 706 52964.