Please be informed that illegal crossing of the border of the Republic of Lithuania incurs criminal responsibility under the laws of Lithuania. Foreigners seeking for asylum in Lithuania can legally apply by submitting an application at border checkpoints of Lithuania or, having arrived in Lithuania by legal means, at the Migration Department.
Health insurance of aliens is governed by Resolution No 230 of 1 March 2005 on the Approval of the General Description of Health Insurance Procedure in Respect of Aliens which came into force on 6 March 2005.
This Resolution requires that aliens who arrive in the Republic of Lithuania or who seek to receive a temporary residence permit in the Republic of Lithuania be covered by health insurance contracts (policies).
The requirement to be covered by health insurance contracts (policies) does not apply to aliens who enjoy the privileges and immunities provided for in international agreements and other legal acts of the Republic of Lithuania:
- members of staff of foreign diplomatic missions, consular posts, missions of international organizations, and members of their families, who enjoy the privileges and immunities provided for by the rules of international law
- members of official delegations of foreign states
- aliens who have diplomatic and service passports
- aliens who work legally in the Republic of Lithuania and pay the prescribed social insurance contributions in the Republic of Lithuania, and minor members of their families
- citizens of EU Member States and Member States of the European Free Trade Association, and members of their families
- persons who pass in transit through the territory of the Republic of Lithuania and are in possession of facilitated transit or facilitated rail transit documents
- servicemen of foreign states and civil servants assigned to armed forces, and their dependants.
The requirement to be covered by health insurance contracts (policies) does not apply to third country nationals with habitual residence in EU Member States and Member States of the European Free Trade Association who are covered by mandatory health insurance in any of these states and who hold a European Health Insurance Card or the E 111 form.
A health insurance contract (policy) of an alien may be concluded with an insurance undertaking of any state and must guarantee that all basic medical assistance costs and travel expenses which may arise in connection with the return, for health reasons, of the alien to homeland (medical transportation, including escort by medical brigade or a doctor) will be covered.
The following shall be indicated in a health insurance contract (policy) issued by an insurance undertaking:
- number of the health insurance contract (policy)
- particulars of the insurance undertaking (name, registered address, telephone or fax number, signature of the representative, and the seal)
- full name of the insured person
- the amount of health insurance
- duration of health insurance contract (policy)
- territorial coverage of health insurance contract (policy)
- non-insured events.
The health insurance contract (policy) shall contain entries in at least one of the following languages: Lithuanian, English, German, French, and Russian.
The minimum amount of health insurance in respect of a single alien shall be:
- EUR 5 792:
- when the alien arrives in the Republic of Lithuania without a visa
- in case of issuing, changing the status of or extending an airport transit (A), or long-term (D) visa or a temporary residence permit in the Republic of Lithuania.
- EUR 30 000, in case of issuing or extending a short-term visa (C).
A health insurance contract shall be valid throughout the period of the alien’s stay in the Republic of Lithuania.